A few hours after you were born we finally got to take you up to our room. Grammie and Papa came up with us a we enjoyed you for an hour or so. Gram and Papa left and I tried to nurse you again. You seemed uninterested and kept gagging. The nurse came in and said you may have swallowed some fluid and that we should try pumping your stomach. She also thought your lips looked a little blue. She and Dad took you to the nursery to pump your stomach and when she hooked you up to the oxygen machine to do this, your blood oxygen levels were very low. Without me knowing the took you down and admitted you to the NICU around 11:00 p.m. I was still in the room trying to rest but I strongly felt like something was wrong. After an hour and not hearing anything I panicked and called the nursery and asked for Dad. He told me what was going on and I lost it. He came and got me and when i saw you again you were hooked up to machines in an incubator type thing and I could not hold or touch you. I was absolutely devistated. We sat there with you for and houror so and then they had to take you away to run tests and get xrays. We were told a doctor would come talk to us when they found a few things out. The doctor didnt come until 6 a.m. and we both sat there awake crying and worrying until she came. She didnt really have any information for us except that they didn't feel that it was terminal and that with the machines your oxygen was stable. We were only allowed to visit you a few times during the day and only for a few hours. For 2 days we could not hold you and it was absolute torture. I had to spend an extra day in the hospital cause of my complications and then Dad and I were able to get a hospital boarding room for 1 more night to be closer to you. The rest of the time we stayed at Grammie and Papas so we could go back and forth to see you. I set my alarm and pumped every 3 hours around the clock and took my milk to the hospital each day because they had to moniter how much you were eating so I was not allowed to breastfeed you for 6 days. When I finally could you did awesome and it was so wonderful. You ended up spending 12 days there because it turns out you had a hole in your lung. It closed up fine and you are pefect now, but it was not a fun experience. We are so glad you are ok and home.
| St. Patricks Day in the NICU |
| Getting ready to go home!!! |



No comments:
Post a Comment